Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Changing Things Up... A Series on Health

Well, as things are remaining quiet on the adoption end of this blog, I thought I'd start a series of posts on a topic near and dear to my heart.  Nutrition and fitness!  I've also been encouraged by my parents recent weight loss success and new-found desire to lead healthier lives.

In one of my my original posts, I had mentioned that I had lost over 30 lbs.  I never really posted before and after pictures, or what I did to loose the weight, so I thought I'd share.  I love encouraging and motivating people who are hoping to loose fat and lead a healthy life. I would really enjoy being a personal trainer!  I also plan on sharing some healthy recipes that Dan and I enjoy!  I am not a medical professional, but I have done a lot of research on the topics of nutrition and fitness.
September 2007

We were married in the fall of 2007.  I was heavier than I wanted to be at my wedding, but I wasn't considered "overweight."  Over the course of our first year of marriage, through laziness and over-eating, I gained 15-20lbs.  I was so unhappy with myself and so uncomfortable in my own skin.  My clothes weren't fitting, and I was embarrassed to have to purchase larger jeans at the thrift store.  I vividly remember two turning points for me that set me on the course to a healthier life.  One being my sisters wedding...

  I was the maid of honor.  We picked out our bridesmaids dresses and got measured.  A couple months later, the dresses arrived and we had to try them on to make sure they fit.  I was MORTIFIED when the dress didn't zip up.  I had to open the door, knowing everyone was waiting to see it on, and announce that I couldn't get the dress zipped up, while trying to not go into an "ugly cry."  My mom had to let the dress out so I could wear it to the wedding. This was one of my most embarrassing moments, and the point I knew that I needed to change. 

Second situation.  I was packing up some old clothes to give to the thrift store.  I was putting some of my nice jeans in there, that were WAY to small for me at the time.  Dan asked why I was getting rid of them, to which I respond, "They don't fit me anymore."  He said, "You know if you get rid of those, that means you've given up."  It may sound harsh, but I really needed that!  He told me to hang on to them for motivation and set a goal to fit into them again one day.  So I listened and kept them, and I'm happy to say that the jeans don't fit now... because they're too BIG!  (Thanks Hun!)  I was at the point where I had given up on trying, and just accepted that this was my new size.  Dan gave me the motivation to not accept it, but to change into where I wanted to be.

Those were a few scenarios that lit a fire under me.  Another big motivator for me was to please my husband.  1 Cor. 7:34 says, " She that is married careth for the things of the world, how she may please her husband." So, seeking to please and submit to my husband was a big motivator for me on my weight loss journey.  I love making my husband happy! 

I tried scrounging up some pictures of me at my heaviest.  (I did take some before pictures, but I won't be sharing those ones with anyone!) :)  But I found a few of me from around that time.  It wasn't easy because I avoided the camera like the plague!

I wanted a picture in my wedding dress for our 1 year anniversary... Don't I look thrilled??
 
1 Year Anniversary "Before" Picture

(My wedding dress is actually too big for me now.)




Up next...
What I did to loose the weight and how I've kept it off.
After Pictures.




No comments:

Post a Comment